This is our new initiative to prepare you for General study paper 4 (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude) 2020. We are trying to make a comprehensive guide which can help you understand the demand of this paper as well as give you concise study material for each topic at one place.
This paper 4 is one of those things which are neglected before prelims and create panic later. One of the problem is that students do not understand from where to begin and how to write answers and solve case studies.
This initiative will make sure that you are not doing this
before examination and you are prepared for it .
First, let us understand the syllabus of the ethics paper. It can be divided into four parts depending upon the discipline it covers:
#2 Behavioural Ethics – Derived from Psychology
#3 Administrative Ethics – Derived from Public Administration
#4 Applied Ethics – Case Studies.
#1 Ethics Theoretical Framework/ Philosophy:
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
#2 Psychology / Behavioural Ethics:
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Emotional intelligence: concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
#3 Administrative Ethics
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections.
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
#4 Applied Ethics
- Case Studies on above issues.
Second, we have to understand the kind of questions UPSC asks in GS paper 4. So here are the previous year question papers:
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2013
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2014
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2015
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2016
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2017
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2018
- GS paper 4- Ethics 2019
So, here starts our journey. We will upload topic wise content to help you study ethics paper in systematic manner.
We are trying to make it a blog you need as well as the one that you deserve . We will also keep it informal and expect your participation.
Please leave your comments, send us your love and help us improve this initiative.