What is the News?
The Council of the European Union has approved the EU’s Indo-Pacific Strategy for cooperation in the Indo-Pacific.
About EU Indo-Pacific Strategy:
- The Indo-Pacific region spans from the east coast of Africa to the Pacific Island States. It has the world’s two most populous countries, which are also huge economies — India and China.
- Aim: The strategy aims to contribute to the stability, security, prosperity, and sustainable development of the Indo-Pacific Region. Basis of strategy are the promotion of democracy, rule of law, human rights, and international law.
Also Read – Increasing Significance of Indo-Pacific for EU
Key Features of the Strategy:
- Security and Defence: The strategy aims to develop partnerships with the Indo-Pacific countries in the areas of security and defence. Areas include addressing maritime security, malicious cyber activities, emerging technologies, terrorism, and organised crime.
- Rules-Based Order: The strategy will be based on upholding democracy, human rights, the rule of law, and respect for international law.
- On Covid-19: EU will work with countries to mitigate the economic and human effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. It will also ensure an inclusive and sustainable socio-economic recovery.
About Council of the European Union:
- Council of the European Union was established in 1967. It is one of the Institutions of the European Union(EU) as listed in the Treaty on European Union.
- Functions: It is tasked with:
- Firstly, Negotiating and adopting EU laws (in most cases together with the European Parliament)
- Secondly, Coordinating EU member states’ policies
- Thirdly, Developing the EU’s common foreign and security policy,
- Fourthly, Concluding international agreements and
- And Lastly, Adopting the EU budget (together with the European Parliament).
Source: The Hindu