Source: The Hindu
List of Contents
What is the News?
The World Health Organisation(WHO) chief scientist has attended a seminar titled “Ensuring food and nutrition security in the context of climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic”.
Key Highlights from the Seminar:
Expand Public Distribution System(PDS):
- Currently, the Public Distribution System(PDS) in India is taking care of food insecurity by providing only cereals.
- The Government of India should expand the food basket of the PDS by including Millets, pulses, fruits, vegetables and animal proteins.
- This will ensure that sufficient nutrition is available to people in lower socio-economic groups.
Optimum Nutrition to Children:
- The governments should organize campaigns to bring a behavioural change of families towards providing optimum nutrition to children.
- The optimum nutrition to babies can be provided by intensive breastfeeding, kangaroo mother care and providing diverse nutritious complementary food to babies.
About Kangaroo Mother Care:
- Kangaroo mother care is a method of care for preterm infants. The method involves infants being carried, usually by the mother, with skin-to-skin contact.