What is the news?
The Jammu and Kashmir government has granted sanction for the creation of a State Investigation Agency (SIA) on the lines of the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
What is the State Investigation Agency(SIA)?
SIA has been constituted as a specialised, nodal agency for coordinating with NIA and other central agencies.
– It will investigate terrorism related cases not referred to the NIA.
– The head of the CID wing shall be the ex-officio Director of the SIA.
– All the officers in-charge of the police stations have to mandatorily intimate the SIA immediately on registration of terrorism related cases and also about such cases where any terrorism linkage surfaces during the investigation.
– SIA has also been empowered to register an FIR, suo motu while keeping the DGP, J&K informed.
– The acts that will come under the purview of the SIA include: The Explosive Substances Act,1908 and The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
Source: This post is based on the article “Explained: J&K’s State Investigation Agency, and its mandate” published in Indian Express on 17th Feb 2022.