News: Gujarat government has awarded the contract for the construction of Bhadbhut barrage project.
- Bhadbhut Project: It is a 1.7-km barrage project across the river Narmada and 25 km from the mouth of the river where it flows into the Gulf of Khambhat.
- To prevent salinity ingress which refers to the process of saltwater invading areas which previously contained only freshwater.
- To stop most of the excess water flowing out of the Sardar Sarovar Dam from reaching the sea and thus create a sweet water lake on the river.
- To prevent flooding in years when rainfall is higher than normal by building embankments.
- The project is a part of Kalpasar Project which aims to build a 30 km dam across the Gulf of Khambhat for establishing a huge freshwater coastal reservoir for irrigation, drinking and industrial purposes.
- Barrage: It is an artificial barrier across a river or estuary to prevent flooding, aid irrigation or navigation or to generate electricity by tidal power.