- According to the All India Survey on Higher Education Report 2017-18, total number of faculty members in higher educational institutions in India has come down.
2. The All India Survey on Higher Education Report 2017-18 pointed out:
- Total number of teachers in higher education institutions in India has come down by about 2.34 lakh in the last three years.
- As per the figures, total number of teachers stood as:
- In 2017-18: 12.84 lakh
- In 2016-17: 13.65 lakh
- In 2015-16: 15.18 lakh
- Between 2011-12 and 2015-16, the number has been rising from 12.47 lakh to 15. 18 lakh.
3. Reasons for decline in teachers numbers:
- Retiring professors are not being replaced.
- Sanctioned post not being filled in State universities.
- In Central universities, these posts are not being filled by the universities despite availability of sanctioned posts and funds.
- As per the 2017-18 figures, the teachers who provided their Aadhaar numbers were shown as teachers from this year on wards.
- In this context, the MoHRD said “occurring and filling up of vacancies is a continuous process. Universities being autonomous institutions, the onus of filling up vacant teaching posts lies with them”.