List of Contents
What is the News?
Shrikishan Suman, a farmer from Kota, Rajasthan has developed an innovative mango variety called Sadabahar.
- Sadabahar is a dwarf variety of mango that can be grown regularly for round the year.
- Dwarf is used to describe varieties or species of plants and animals which are much smaller than the usual size for their kind.
Key Features of Sadabahar:
- The fruit is resistant to most major diseases and common mango disorders.
- The fruit is sweeter in taste comparable to langra.(Langra is a variety of mango grown in Varanasi, Northern India, Bangladesh and Pakistan).
- The fruit is suitable for kitchen gardening, high-density plantation, and can be grown in pots for some years too.
- Besides, the flesh of the fruits is deep orange with a sweet taste and the pulp has very less fiber content which differentiates it from other varieties.
- The Sadabahar mango variety has been verified by the National Innovation Foundation (NIF),
- NIF has also facilitated the plantation of Sadabahar mango variety in the Mughal Garden at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi.
- This mango variety is also in the process of being registered under the ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR).
- NBPGR: It was established in 1976 as the nodal agency at a national level for the management of plant genetic resources (PGR) for food and agriculture and to carry out related research and human resource development.
- Further, Shrikishan Suman has also been conferred with the NIF’s 9th National Grassroots Innovation and Traditional Knowledge Award for developing this mango variety.