What is the News?
The Finance Minister allocated funds for the creation of a National Research Foundation(NRF).
About National Research Foundation(NRF)
- The NRF found mention in the 2019 Budget speech first. New Education Policy(NEP),2020 also proposed its formation.
- The foundation would be an autonomous body. It will fund researches across four major disciplines –Sciences; Technology; Social Sciences; and Arts and Humanities.
- Moreover, It will develop and build research capacity at universities and colleges through a formal mechanism of mentoring. Experts researchers from premier institutions of the country will assist in that.
- Thus, It will also catalyze research at universities and colleges that have until now not been big players in research.
- The funding would be cross-disciplinary. The foundation will ensure that research already being funded by Science Ministries for instance — wouldn’t be duplicated.
Source: The Hindu