What is the News?
BBV154, the first Nasal Vaccine against Covid-19 has received the regulator’s nod for conducting Phase 2 and 3 clinical trials.
- BBV154 is an intranasal replication-deficient chimpanzee adenovirus SARS-CoV-2 vectored vaccine.
- It is the first Intranasal Covid-19 Vaccine being developed by Bharat Biotech.
About Mission COVID Suraksha
- Mission COVID Suraksha was launched to reinforce and accelerate COVID-19 vaccine development efforts as part of the third stimulus package, Atmanirbhar 3.0.
- Aim: To consolidate and streamline available resources towards a warpath for accelerated vaccine development in order to bring a safe, efficacious, affordable and accessible COVID-19 Vaccine to the citizens at the earliest with a focus on Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- Implemented by: The mission is led by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and implemented by a dedicated Mission Implementation Unit at the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council(BIRAC).
- BIRAC is a not-for-profit Section 8, Public Sector Enterprise set up by DBT.
- Mandate: It has been set up as an Interface Agency to strengthen and empower the emerging biotech enterprises to undertake strategic research and innovation for globally competitive product development to address unmet needs.