News:Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare has launched the Food Safety Mitra Scheme and Eat Right Smart Jacket.
About Food Safety Mitra scheme:
- The scheme aims to create an ecosystem of food safety mitras(FSM) who will help Food Business organisations(FBO) with licensing and registration, training and auditing hygiene among others.
- FSM is an individual professional certified by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) who assists in compliances related to FSS Act, Rules & Regulations.
- The food safety Mitra will have three avatars- Digital Mitra, Trainer Mitra and Hygiene Mitra depending upon their respective roles and responsibilities.
Significance of the scheme:
- The scheme will lead to improved ease of doing business by creating a transparent and organized ecosystem.
- It will support food businesses wherein food businesses will be able to get trained service providers at fair prices – lowering the costs of compliance
About Eat Right Jacket:
- Eat Right Smart Jacket has been introduced to giving an identity to FSSAI staff to ensure transparent inspection.
- It’s embedded with an RFID tag and QR code.It is linked to software to capture entry of inspection staff into premise for monitoring.
About Eat Right India Movement
- The Eat Right India Movement was launched by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in 2018.
- It is a preventive healthcare measure to trigger social and behavioural change among people.
- The movement aims to improve public health in India and combat negative nutritional trends to fight lifestyle diseases.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI):
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a statutory autonomous body under Food Safety and Standards Act,2006.It comes under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.