What is the News?
India’s Foreign Minister is attending the 9th ministerial conference of the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process (HoA-IP) in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
About Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process:
- Firstly, Heart of Asia Istanbul Process is a regional initiative of Afghanistan and the Republic of Turkey. It was launched in November 2011 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Secondly, the process aims to promote economic and political cooperation for Afghanistan peace through dialogue and confidence-building measures (CBMs).
- Thirdly, Composition: The platform comprises 15 participating countries, 17 supporting countries, and 12 supporting regional and international organizations.
- India is one of the participating countries.
- Other participating countries are Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, China, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates
- Fourthly, Pillars: The Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process is based on three pillars:
- Political Consultations to resolve disputes in the region and Afghanistan.
- Implementation of the Confidence Building Measures(CBMs) and
- Cooperation with Regional Organizations.
- Fifthly, De facto Secretariat: The Directorate-General for Regional Cooperation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan.
- Lastly, has India ever hosted the conference: India co-hosted the 6th Heart of Asia Ministerial Conference in Amritsar, Punjab in 2016.