List of Contents
What is the News?
Cabinet has approved key decisions related to food grains, merger of CWC and CRWC and deal with Caribbean Island Nations on Tax matters.
About Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKY)
- It was announced as part of the relief package during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aim: To ensure sufficient food for the poor and needy during the coronavirus crisis.
- Nodal Ministry: Department of Food and Public Distribution under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
- Features: Under this, about 80 Crore National Food Security Act (NFSA) beneficiaries are eligible for an additional quota of free-of-cost foodgrains (Rice/Wheat). It is provided at a scale of 5 Kg per person per month over and above their regular monthly entitlement.
- Duration of the Scheme: The scheme was announced in 2020 for three months till July. Later it was extended till November 2020.
- The scheme is functional once again. Now it has been extended till November 2021.
The merger of CWC and CRWC:
- Cabinet has approved the merger of Central Warehousing Corp. (CWC), a state-run company with unit Central Railside Warehouse Company Ltd (CRWC).
- The merger aims to improve efficiency, capacity utilization, and financial savings.
- Benefits of the Merger:
- It will lead to the transfer of all assets, liabilities, rights, and obligations of CRWC to CWC.
- It will unify similar functions of both companies such as warehousing, handling, and transportation under a single administration.
- It will promote efficiency, capacity utilization, transparency, accountability, and ensure financial savings.