What is the News?
The G7 Foreign Ministers meeting was held ahead of the G7 leader’s summit.
About the G7 Summit:
- The G7 Summit takes place at Carbis Bay in Cornwall in the UK. It is the first in-person G7 Leaders Summit in almost two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The aim of this year’s G7 summit is to help the world fight and then build it better from coronavirus. It is to create a greener and more prosperous future.
- Guest Countries: India, Australia, and South Korea have been invited to participate in the proceedings of the summit as “guest countries”.
Group of Seven(G7)
- G7 is an intergovernmental organization formed in 1975. The bloc meets annually to discuss issues of common interest like global economic governance, international security, and energy policy.
- Countries: G-7 consists of the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Canada, and Japan.
- Origin: The G-7 was formerly referred to as the G-8 until Russia was suspended from the group in 2014 after illegally annexing Crimea.
- The G-7 is not an official, formal entity and therefore has no legislative or authoritative power to enforce the recommended policies and plans it compiles.
D10 Group of Countries:
- D10 is a proposal by the UK Prime Minister. It is to turn the G7 into a forum for the world’s ten leading democracies.
- The D10 would include G7 countries – UK, US, Italy, Germany, France, Japan, and Canada – plus Australia, South Korea, and India.
Source: The Hindu