What is the News? The Ministry of Rural Development has organized the Gender Samvaad Event.
About Gender Samvaad Event:
- Gender Samvaad is a cooperation between Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission(DAY-NRLM) and Initiative for What Works to Advance Women and Girls in the Economy (IWWAGE).
- Aim: It aims to generate greater awareness about gender-related interventions under DAY-NRLM across the country. It focuses on hearing opinions from the states and the field.
Activities under Gender Samvaad: Gender Samvaad provides states with opportunities to:
- Firstly, understand best practices/initiatives that other states are undertaking to improve women’s organisations.
- Secondly, understand gender interventions globally;
- Thirdly, engage with experts and other colleagues on suggestions regarding how to handle issues/implementation barriers;
- Fourthly, the creation of a ‘gender repository’. It will have resource materials on best practices for gender interventions across the country/other countries;
- Fifthly, build advocacy on the need to focus on gender issues across State and National Rural Livelihoods Missions.
- In 2016, DAY-NRLM launched a gender operational strategy to mainstream gender issues. Its focus was on training and capacity building of staff, cadres, and institutions on gender issues.
- This was coupled with the establishment of institutional platforms (e.g. social action committees and gender resource centres) at the field level. So that women could approach them for their grievances and claim their rights and entitlements.
- Initiative for What Works to Advance Women and Girls in the Economy(IWWAGE) is an initiative of LEAD.
- LEAD is an action-oriented research center of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act).
- Aim: The aim is to build on the existing research and generate new evidence to inform and facilitate the agenda of women’s economic empowerment.