What is the News?
The first commercial consignment of Geographical Indications(GI) certified Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur, Bihar was exported to the United Kingdom.
About Jardalu Mangoes:
- Jardalu Mangoes is grown in the Bhagalpur district of Bihar. It received the Geographical Indications(GI) certification in 2018.
- The mango is famous for its exclusive aroma, sweetness and other nutritional properties.
- It is rich in fibre and enzymes that are highly beneficial to the abdominal muscles and digestive system.
- Moreover, Jardalu mango is also considered a safe fruit for even those who have been diagnosed with diabetes or have a poor digestive system.
|Read more: First consignment of GI certified “Shahi Litchi” exported to the U.K|
About Mangoes in India:
- Mangoes in India are referred to as ‘king of fruits. They are mentioned in ancient scriptures as Kalpavriksha (wish-granting tree).
- States: Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka have a major share in the total production of the mango.
- GI certified mangoes in News:
- Khirsapati & Lakshmanbhog (West Bengal),
- Jardalu (Bihar),
- Banganapalli and Suvarnarekha mango varieties (Andhra Pradesh).