News:The Global Go To Think Tank Index Report(GGTTI) has been released by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program(TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania,US.
About the index:
- The index evaluates public-policy research analysis and engagement organisations that generate policy-oriented research, analysis, and advice on domestic and international issues.
- It claims to enable policy makers and the public to make informed decisions on public policy.
Key takeaways from the index:
- The index was topped by Carnegie Endowment for International Peace of US followed by Belgium Bruegel and French Institute of International Relations(IFRI).
Index on India:
- The Centre for Science and Environment(CSE) was placed at 16th position among 176 Global Think Tanks.
- The Observer Research Foundation(ORF) was ranked 27th in 2019.It was previously ranked 118th position in 2018.
- Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation was the highest-ranked Indian think tank with a political party affiliation getting a rank of 31st, among 38 such institutions.
- A think tank is an organization that gathers a group of interdisciplinary scholars to perform research around particular policies, issues or ideas.
- They play a significant role as they a)fill the gap between academia and policy making b)Influence Policy formulations in the country c) provide a neutral venue for dialogues on different issues among others.