What is the News?
United Nations agencies, youth organisations, and WHO have come together to launch the Global Youth Mobilization Initiative for local Solutions.
About Global Youth Mobilization Initiative:
- World Health Organization and United Nations Foundation are supporting Global Youth Mobilization Initiative. Whereas, it is led by the world’s six largest youth organisations, including
- First, the World Alliance of Young Men’s Christian Associations
- Second, World Young Women’s Christian Association
- Third, the World Organization of the Scout Movement
- Fourth, the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts
- Also, The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Lastly, The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award
- Aim: The aim is to address the negative impact of the pandemic on young people and support them to build back better.
- Funding: Young people from around the world can apply for funding. It will support innovative Local Solutions to address the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Need of the Initiative
- Firstly, the International Labour Organisation (ILO) terms the current young population as the ‘lockdown generation’.
- Secondly, as per some estimates, around 90 per cent of young people “reported increased mental anxiety during the pandemic”.
- Whereas “one in six young people worldwide has lost their jobs during the pandemic”.
Source: Down To Earth