GM mustard policy: SC gives govt. time:
GM mustard policy on hold by Center Context:
- The government on 17.07.2017 informed the Supreme Court that a policy decision on the commercial release of the Genetically Modified (GM) mustard crop is yet to be finalised.
- On October 17, 2016, the court had extended the stay on the commercial release of the GM mustard until further orders.
- The court had asked the Centre to collect public opinion before the release.
- Thus, the Center is running through various suggestions on and objections to the commercial rollout of the GM crops.
- The government now gets a week by a Bench of Justice to report back on when the policy would be finalised which the condition that he policy should be good-intentioned and well-informed.
- The government was sowing the seeds in various fields without publishing the bio-safety documents which has to be made public by putting it on the website.
- Moreover field trials were being carried out without the relevant tests.