News:The Prime Minister paid tribute to Gopal Krishna Gokhale on his birth anniversary on 9th May,1866.
- Gopal Krishna Gokhale was an Indian political leader, a social reformer during the Indian Independence Movement and Mahatma Gandhi’s political mentor.
- Role in Legislatures:He was a member of the Bombay Legislative Council between 1899 and 1902.It was followed by work at the Imperial Legislative Council from 1902 where he played a key role in framing the Morley-Minto reforms of 1909.
- Role in Indian a National Congress(INC):He was associated with the Moderate Group of Indian National Congress(joined in 1889).He became president of INC in 1905 in Banaras session.
- Related Societies:
- He served as Secretary of the Deccan Education Society.
- He established the Servants of India Society in 1905 for the expansion of Indian education.
- In 1908, he founded the ‘Ranade Institute of Economics’.
- He started english weekly newspaper, The Hitavada (The people’s paper).
- He was also associated with the Sarvajanik sabha journal started by Govind Ranade.