List of Contents
What is the News?
Mahinder Giri, a range officer from Rajaji Tiger Reserve won the prestigious International Ranger Award . He is the only ranger from Asia to win this award. Recently, Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change congratulated the range officer for his achievement.
About the International Ranger Award:
- The International Ranger Award was created in 2020.
- Organized by: The IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas(WCPA) in collaboration with the International Ranger Federation, Global Wildlife Conservation, and Conservation Allies.
- Aim: The award aims to highlight and felicitate the extraordinary work of rangers in protected and conserved areas worldwide.
About World Commission on Protected Areas(WCPA):
- The World Commission on Protected Areas(WCPA) is one of the commissions of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature(IUCN).
- Administered by: IUCN’s Global Programme on Protected Areas. It has over 2,500 members, spanning 140 countries.
- Functions: WCPA works by helping governments and others to plan
- Protected areas and integrate them into all sectors
- Providing strategic advice to policymakers
- Strengthening capacity and investment in protected areas and
- Convening the diverse constituency of protected area stakeholders to address challenging issues.
- Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland.
About International Ranger Federation(IRF):
- Founded in: 1992 in Peak National Park in the UK.
- It aims to actively promote and support the formation of Ranger Associations around the world. Also, it ensures the Rangers are adequately supported and represented.
About Conservation Allies:
- Conservation Allies partners with NGOs working on biodiversity conservation around the globe.
About Global Wildlife Conservation
- Global Wildlife Conservation is a Wildlife Conservation charity. It is located in Texas, United States.
- The organization conserves the diversity of life on Earth by protecting and restoring wildlife and habitat. It conducts its operations in more than 50 countries.