List of Contents
What is the News?
The Government of India has constituted a committee on the occasion of National Handloom Day for doubling the production and quadrupling the exports of handlooms in a span of 3 years.
About the Committee for the Handloom Sector:
- Headed by: Sh. Sunil Sethi, Chairman, Fashion Design Council of India (FDCI) New Delhi,
Terms of Reference of the Committee:
- To suggest the framework for doubling the production of the Handloom Sector.
- To suggest ways for collaboration of handloom weavers agencies with the designers, organizations and exporters.
- Further, the committee will suggest measures for quadrupling exports of Handloom products.
- To suggest ways and means for improving the marketing of handloom products in the domestic market.
- To suggest measures for improving the input supplies (raw materials, credit, technology up-gradation, skilling, designs).
About National Handloom Day:
- National handloom day is observed annually on 7th August to honour the handloom weaving community and highlight the importance of India’s handloom industry.
- Significance: The 7th of August was chosen as the National Handloom Day to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement, which was launched on this day in 1905.
- The first National handloom day was inaugurated on 7th August 2015.