List of Contents
What is the News?
The Ministry of Earth Sciences has developed an state-of-the-art Earth System Model(ESM) known as the IITM-ESM.
About the Earth System Model(ESM) named IITM-ESM:
- IITM-ESM is an indigenous climate model developed to predict the impact of climate change on the monsoon in the country.
- Developed by: The model has been developed at the Centre for Climate Change Research(CCCR), Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology(IITM) under the Ministry of Earth Sciences(MoES).
- Components: IITM-ESM is a state-of-the-art climate model with components of the atmosphere, ocean including deep ocean circulation, Arctic and Antarctic sea-ice and ocean biogeochemistry.
- Purpose: The model can address key questions concerning the science of climate change including reliable projections of the global and regional climate, Indian monsoon, hydrological cycle, sea-level changes and tropical ocean-atmosphere processes in a changing climate.
- Significance: IITM-ESM is the first climate model from South Asia that has contributed to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) sixth assessment report(AR6) and participated in the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project –Phase 6(CMIP6) experiments.
About Coupled Model Intercomparison Project(CMIP):
- CMIP is an international effort to improve climate models by comparing multiple model simulations to observations and to each other.
- These comparisons can help our understanding of past and future climate changes, and also lead to climate model improvements.
- The project falls under the direction of the Working Group on Coupled Modeling, an activity of the World Climate Research Program(WCRP).
About World Climate Research Program(WCRP):
- WCRP is an international programme that helps to coordinate global climate research.
- The Program was established in 1980 under the joint sponsorship of the World Meteorological Organization(WMO) and the International Council for Science (ICSU).
- The program has also been sponsored by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission(IOC) of UNESCO since 1993.