List of Contents
What is the News?
The government has approved the scheme – Modernisation Plan-IV for Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) in continuation of the scheme “Modernisation Plan-III for CAPFs.
What is the Modernisation Plan Scheme for Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs)?
Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Home Affairs
Aim: To equip the CAPFs with modern state-of-the-art weapons and equipment as per their operational requirement, keeping in view their deployment pattern in different theatres. Besides, upgraded IT solutions will also be provided to CAPFs.
Significance of the Scheme:
1) It will equip CAPFs to improve the overall operational efficiency/preparedness which will positively impact the internal security scenario in the country, 2) It would also bolster the Government’s ability to address the challenges being faced on the International Border.
What are the Central Armed Police Forces(CAPFs)?
The Ministry of Home Affairs maintains seven CAPFs:
– Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF): It assists State/Union Territories in police operations to maintain law and order and counter-insurgency.
– Central Industrial Security Force (CISF): It provides security cover to industrial units, government infrastructure projects and facilities and establishments located all over India.
– National Security Guards(NSG): It is an elite counter-terrorism unit.
– Four border guarding forces: Border Security Force(BSF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and Assam Rifles (AR).
Source: This post is based on the article “Government has approved the scheme – Modernisation Plan-IV for Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs)” published in PIB on 5th Mar 2022.