List of Contents
Source: This post is based on the article “Government introduces a new registration mark for new vehicles “Bharat series (BH-series)” to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles” published in PIB on 28th August 2021.
What is the News?
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has introduced a new registration mark for new vehicles called the Bharat series (BH-series).
What is the BH Number Series?
- BH number series is a newly introduced number series for vehicle registration across India. It is specifically meant for those vehicle owners who shift from one state to another on a regular basis due to their transferable nature of jobs.
- Currently, under section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, a person is allowed to keep a vehicle for a maximum of one year in any State other than the one, it is registered in. Owners have to get such vehicles re-registered before the expiry of one year (12 months).
- The BH signifies Bharat and will replace the state letters in the number plate denoting the state of vehicle registration, like UP or DL.
Who is eligible to apply for BH Series?
- The vehicle registration facility under the ‘BH’ series will be available to defence personnel, employees of Central government, state governments, Central/State PSUs
- Further, individuals working in private sector companies/organisations, which have their offices in five or more states/Union Territories can also avail of this registration.
As the employees in these services have a transferable job, moving from one state to another every 2-3 years.
Motor Vehicles Tax:
- In general, one has to pay road tax for regular vehicles for 15 years.
- On the other hand, for the BH series, the motor vehicle tax will be levied for two years or in multiple of two.
- After completion of the fourteenth year, the motor vehicle tax shall be levied annually.
Benefits of BH Series:
- Vehicles will not require any transfer of registration and will be valid across the country. This will allow free movement of personal vehicles across States/Union Territories.