News: Union Education Minister and Union Minister for Textiles and Women & Child Development jointly launched the Toycathon 2021.
- Toycathon 2021: It’s a kind of hackathon for the toy industry. It has been organized by the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD), Ministry of Textile, Ministry of Commerce and Industries, Ministry of MSME, Ministry of I&B and All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE).
- Aim: To conceptualize innovative toys based on the Indian value system which will inculcate the positive behavior and good value among the children.
- Themes: It is based on nine themes viz. Indian Culture, History, Knowledge of India and Ethos; Learning, Education and Schooling; Social and human values; Occupations & specific fields; Environment; Divyang ; Fitness and sport; Out of the box, creative and logical thinking and Rediscovering/redesigning traditional Indian toys.
Why is Toycathon being organized?
- Toycathon is being organized to develop India as the global Toy manufacturing hub.
- India is home to 25% of global children belongs to the age group of 0 to 12 years.
- India is home to several toy clusters and thousands of artisans produce indigenous toys which not only have cultural connect but also helps in building life-skills and psychomotor skills among children especially at an early age.
- India’s share in the global toy market is estimated to be at $90 billion, which is just 0.5 per cent of the global share. Apart from that 80 per cent of the toys sold in India are imported from China.