News:The Ministry of Earth Science has launched Seismic Hazard Microzonation project in major cities of India.
Aim of the project:The project aims to reduce hazards of seismic activities by putting in adequate measures.
About Seismic Hazard Microzonation:
- Seismic Hazard Microzonation is the process of identifying the earthquake prone areas based on its geological and geophysical characteristics.
- The characteristics include ground shaking, landslides, liquefaction susceptibility, rock fall hazard and flooding caused due to earthquakes among others.
- Based on this division, mitigation measures and preventive methods are prepared to minimise the losses.
Significance of the project:
- The technique gives better mitigatory measures as it helps to understand the impact of seismic activities precisely.
- It can also be helpful in certain places, where no reliable model can be implemented as it helps in adopting preventive measures.
Where has the microzonation completed?
- Currently,the microzonation has been completed in the State of Sikkim and in other eight cities namely Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Guwahati, Jabalpur, Dehradun Ahmedabad and Gandhidham.
- Further,Japan is the best example where microzonation techniques are well implemented.