What is the News?
The Minister for Labour and Employment has formally launched the e-Shram portal.
About e-Shram portal:
- e-Shram portal has been developed for creating a National Database of the Unorganized Workers(NDUW).
- Key Objective: To implement social security schemes for the unorganized workers.
Key Features of the Portal:
- There are no income criteria for registering on e-SHRAM as an unorganized worker. However, one should not be an income tax payee.
- Any worker who is unorganized and aged between 16-59 is eligible to register on the e-SHRAM portal.
- Documents like the Aadhaar Number, mobile number, Aadhaar linked bank account will be required by the worker to register on the portal.
- If a worker does not have an Aadhaar linked mobile number, he can visit the nearest Common Service Centre(CSC) and register through Biometric authentication.
- After registering, workers shall be issued an e-Shram card with a 12 digit unique Universal Account Number (UAN), It will be used to access the benefits of the various social security schemes through this Card anywhere anytime.
- Moreover, the workers registered on the portal would be given accidental insurance cover. They will be also eligible for Rs 2 lakh on death or permanent disability and Rs 1 lakh in case of partial disability.
Who is an Unorganized worker?
- Any worker who is a home-based worker, self-employed worker or a wage worker working in the unorganized sector and not a member of ESIC or EPFO, is called an unorganized worker.
- There are varying estimates of the number of unorganised workers. According to the Economic Survey (2018-19), 93% of the total workforce in India is in the Unorganized Sector.