News:Recently,a Concession Agreement for completing the 6.5-kilometre long Z-Morh tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir was signed between NHIDCL and APCO Amarnathji Tunnelway.
About Z-Morh Tunnel:
- Z-Morh Tunnel is a 6.5km long two-lane bi-directional road tunnel project constructed near Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The tunnel is the first step towards ensuring all-weather connectivity between Srinagar and Kargil in Ladakh region of India.
- The tunnel gets its name from its Z formation between Sonamarg and Gagangir.
- The tunnel is also of high strategic importance for India as it would avoid the regions of snowfall and avalanches.
- Further,along with Zoji-la Tunnel, the Z-Morh tunnel will ensure year-long road connectivity between Srinagar and Kargil.
About Zoji-la Tunnel:
- Zoji-la Tunnel is a 14.2-km long tunnel project in Jammu and Kashmir to provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
- Once Constructed,the Zojila tunnel will be the longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia.
- The project is being implemented by the ministry of road transport and highways(MoRT&H) through the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited(NHIDCL).