List of Contents
What is the News?
The Government of India has launched the ‘Project O2 for India’.
About Project O2 for India:
- Project O2 for India is an initiative of the Office of Principal Scientific Adviser, Government of India(GoI).
- Purpose: The project aims to:
- Step up production of medical oxygen to meet the potential increase in demand due to further waves of the pandemic .
- Help the stakeholders working to increase the country’s ability to meet the rise in demand for medical oxygen.
Key Features of the Project O2 for India:
- Under the Project, a National Consortium of Oxygen has been set up. It has been raising funds from private sector organisations, individuals among others.
- These funds are being used by the consortium to supply critical raw materials. Such as zeolites, setting up of small oxygen plants, manufacturing compressors, ventilators among others.
- Moreover, the consortium is also working to strengthen the manufacturing ecosystem of medical oxygen for long-term preparedness.
- Further, a committee of experts has also been set up to evaluate critical equipment. Such as oxygen plants, concentrators, and ventilators from a pool of India-based manufacturers, start-ups, and MSMEs.
About Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA):
- Setup in: Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) was set up in 1999 by the Cabinet Secretariat. It is currently a Secretary level position.
- Mandate: This office is the chief advisor to the government on matters related to scientific policy. The policies focus on critical infrastructure, economic and social sectors.
Source: Business Today
Read Also :-Medical Oxygen to be Imported