News:The Government of India has launched a School Health Programme under Ayushman Bharat-Health & Wellness Centres.
About the School Health Ambassador Initiative:
- Aim:To foster the growth, development and educational achievement of school going children by promoting their health and well-being.
- Ministry:It has been jointly rolled out by the Ministries of Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development.
- The initiative will also be effectively linked with other government initiatives such as the Fit India movement, Eat Right campaign.
Features of the initiative:
- Under the initiative,two teachers will be selected as Health and wellness ambassadors in public schools to raise awareness about preventive health aspects.These ambassadors will receive support from class monitors, who will serve as Health and Wellness Messengers.
- The health and wellness ambassadors will spread awareness regarding preventive health by organising culturally sensitive activity sessions for one hour every week for 24 weeks in a year to promote joyful learning.
- The ambassadors will be trained by the National Resource Group that was constituted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
About Ayushman Bharat:
- Launched in 2018 under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Aim:To provide universal health care to the poor, needy and vulnerable sections of the country.It covers both prevention and health promotion.
About Fit India Movement:
- Aim:To encourage people to inculcate physical activity and sports in their everyday lives.
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
About Eat Right campaign:
- Launched by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in 2018.
- Aim: The movement aims to improve public health in India and combat negative nutritional trends to fight lifestyle diseases.