What is the News?
The Ministry of Agriculture has launched the Seed Minikit Programme.
About Seed Minikit Programme:
- Seed Minikit Programme aims to distribute high yielding varieties of seeds of pulses and oilseeds to farmers.
- Nodal Agencies: The seed mini-kits are being provided by the following central agencies –
- National Seeds Corporation(NCS)
- Gujarat State Seeds Corporation
- Funding: The programme is wholly funded by the Center through the National Food Security Mission.
- Significance: This programme is a major tool for introducing new varieties of seeds in fields and instrumental in increasing the seed replacement rate.
- Seed Replacement Rate (SRR): Out of the total area of a crop planted in a season, SRR is the percentage of total area sown using certified/quality seeds other than the farm-saved seed (the practice of saving seeds to plant in the next season).
Pulses and Oilseeds Production in India:
- The Government of India in collaboration with states has been implementing programmes to enhance the production of pulses and oilseeds under the National Food Security Mission.
- Since 2014-15, there has been a renewed focus on increasing the production of pulses and oilseeds. The efforts have yielded good results.
- Oilseeds production has increased from 27.51 million tonnes in 2014-15 to 36.57million tonnes in 2020-21.
- On the other hand, pulses production has increased from 17.15 million tonnes in 2014-15 to 25.56 million tonnes in 2020-21.
- However, India still imports a lot of pulses and edible oils to meet domestic demand.
About National Food Security Mission(NFSM):
- The National Food Security Mission(NFSM) was launched in 2007-08 by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
- Aim: To increase the production of rice, wheat and pulses through
- area expansion and productivity enhancement
- restoring soil fertility and productivity
- Creating employment opportunities and
- enhancing farm level economy.
- Coarse cereals were also included in the Mission from 2014-15 under NFSM.