Govt Announces Gandhi Peace Prize Winner For 2015-18 After 4-Year Gap
- The prize was last conferred to the Indian Space Research Organisation in 2014.
About Gandhi Peace Prize
- It is given to individuals and institutions for their contribution towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- The award was instituted in 1995 during the commemoration of 125th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and is to be given annually.
- The award was jointly given in 2000 to Nelson Mandela and Grameen Bank of Bangladesh.
- In 2018 the prize was given to Yohei Sasakawa, for effort towards Leprosy Elimination.
- For 2017, the award is given to Ekai Abhiyan Trust for their contribution to education for rural and tribal children.