List of Contents
What is the News?
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting(I&B) has issued the Cable Television Networks (Amendment) Rules, 2021.
About Cable Television Networks (Amendment) Rules,2021:
- The rules amend the Cable Television Network Rules,1994 with the aim to establish a statutory mechanism for citizens to raise grievances with respect to broadcasted content.
Key Features of the Cable Television Networks (Amendment) Rules,2021:
The rules lay down a three-tier grievance redressal mechanism to ensure broadcasters’ adherence to the Programme Code and the Advertising Code: The three-tier mechanism includes:
- Self Regulation by Broadcasters:
- The Rules require broadcasters to establish a complaint redressal mechanism and appoint an officer to deal with complaints.
- A written complaint can be filed to the officer if a citizen is aggrieved by the content of a programme. The officer is bound to respond within 15 days.
- Self-Regulation by the body of broadcasters:
- The Rules establish independent bodies constituted by at least 40 broadcasters to act as an appellate body. This body will ensure adherence to the Programme and Advertising Code.
- These independent bodies can be approached if the complainant was not satisfied with the response of the Broadcaster. They should deal with the case in 60 days.
- Inter-Departmental Committee:
- The Rules require the Central government to establish an Inter-Departmental Committee.
- Headed by: The Committee would be headed by the Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.It will have members from the other ministries.
- Purpose: The committee has been set up for:
- Hearing appeals from complainants: If the complainant is not satisfied with the decision of the self-regulating body. S/he can prefer to approach the committee within 15 days of such a decision.
- Complaint from Central Government: The committee could take up complaints that are referred to it by the Central government.
Source: The Hindu
Read Also :-Government forms committee to review TRP guidelines