What is the News?
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs(MTA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Microsoft. The MOU aims to support the digital transformation of Tribal schools such as Eklavya Model Residential Schools(EMRS).
About the MoU for Digital Transformation of Tribal Schools:
- As part of the MoU, Microsoft will make Artificial Intelligence(AI) curriculum. This will be available to tribal students in both English and Hindi at all EMRS schools.
- Teachers across the states will get training in a phased manner for using productivity technologies like Office 365 and AI applications in teaching.
Significance of this initiative:
- This program will ensure that tribal students get a chance to change their future, their environment, their village, and the overall community.
- The initiative will also enable the professional development of educators and also enable them to use technology in classrooms.
- It will also be able to bridge the gap between the tribal students and others.
About Eklavya Model Residential Schools(EMRS):
- Eklavya Model Residential Schools(EMRS) is a Government of India scheme for model residential schools for Scheduled Tribes across India.
- Nodal Ministry: The Ministry of Tribal Affairs in the year 1997-98 launched the scheme.
- Aim: To impart quality education to ST children in remote areas. It will also enable them to avail opportunities in high and professional educational courses. And further get employment in various sectors.
- The schools focus not only on academic education but on the all-around development of the students.
- Grants: The government of India provides grants for the construction of schools and recurring expenses to the State Governments under Article 275 (1) of the Constitution.
- Target: Every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal persons, will have an Eklavya Model Residential School by the year 2022.
- Significance: The schools will be on par with Navodaya Vidyalayas. It will have special facilities for preserving local art and culture besides providing training in sports and skill development.
Eklavya Model Day Boarding Schools (EMDBS)
- Eklavya Model Day Boarding School(EMDBS) is being set up wherever the density of ST population is higher in identified Sub-Districts (90% or more).
- Objective: These schools will be set up for providing additional scope for ST Students seeking to avail school education without residential facility.