News:The AYUSH Ministry is in the process of setting up a nationwide ‘AYUSH Grid’.
- AYUSH Grid aims to connect all hospitals and research labs to record case histories so that a huge amount of evidence can be generated through data analytics about the efficacy of traditional medicine including Ayurveda.
- AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.
- These systems are based on traditional medical philosophies and represent a way of healthy living with established concepts on prevention of diseases and promotion of health.
Benefits of AYUSH system:
- AYUSH healthcare is generally cheap and affordable
- It has lesser side effects.
- It has proven to be effective in lifestyle diseases like diabetes and hypertension.
National AYUSH mission:
- National AYUSH mission was launched in 2014 by the government of India.
- The basic objective of mission is to promote (a)AYUSH medical systems through cost effective AYUSH services (b)strengthening of educational systems to impart quality AYUSH education (c)facilitate the enforcement of quality control of AYUSH drugs and (d)sustainable availability of AYUSH raw materials.
- In 2015,Ministry of Ayush had also included Sowa Rigpa to the AYUSH system.
- Sowa Rigpa is a traditional Buddhist medicine practised in Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Darjeeling and Kalimpong areas of West Bengal.
- An international centre to promote Sowa Rigpa is being built in Ladakh.