News: Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has released the second State Food Safety Index.
- The index was released on the occasion of World Food Safety Day with the theme “Food Safety is everyone’s business”.
- It ranks states on five parameters of food safety: a) human resources and institutional data b) compliance c) food testing facility d) training and capacity building and e) consumer empowerment.
- Larger States: Gujarat was ranked first followed by Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- Smaller States: Goa came first followed by Manipur and Meghalaya
- Union Territories: Chandigarh was ranked first followed by Delhi and Andaman Islands.