- The first ever informal summit between India and Russia was held in Sochi, Russia. The informal summit is a new aspect of the bilateral ties.
- The “Strategic Partnership” between India and Russia has evolved into “Special Privileged Strategic Partnership”.
3.Mr. Modi said friendship between India and Russia had stood the test of time, and the ties would continue to scale new heights.
- India and Russia are working together on International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) and BRICS
5.Both countries noted the steady growth of trade turnover
- Both countries would discuss the impact of US sanctions against Russia under the countering America’s Adversaries through sanctions Act (CAATSA) on Indo- Russia defence cooperation.
- The Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) is a U.S. federal law that imposed sanctions on Iran, North Korea, and Russia.
- The CAATSA includes sanctions against countries that engage in significant transactions with Russia’s defence and intelligence sectors.
- India could face U.S. sanctions for purchasing high value military defence items, in particular state-of-the-art S-400 Triumf missile defence system, from Russia.
- Indian official sources confirms that India is not going to allow its defence engagement with Russia to be dictated by any other country.