News:Punjab Chief Minister has said that farmers should use Happy Seeders for direct wheat sowing as it will lead to increased productivity.
About Happy seeder(HS):
- Happy Seeder(HS) is a tractor-operated machine developed by the Punjab Agricultural University(PAU) in collaboration with Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research(ACIAR).
- Happy seeder is used for in-situ management of paddy stubble (straw).
- The seeder has the capability to cut and lift the previous crop and sow a new crop in its place.It also deposits the straw over the sown area as mulch.
Advantages of Happy seeder:
- The average wheat yield a farmer gets using traditional sowing method (after burning stubble) is 19-22 quintal/acre (q/acre).
- It has been found that using Happy Seeder also farmers can get a yield of around 19-22 q/acre.
Concerns with Happy seeder:
- Farmers had to burn the stubble because Happy Seeder doesn’t work on thick bunches of straw left behind.
- The wheat yield does not increase or decrease using Happy Seeder.But it remains at par with normal average yield.
- Initially,farmers are facing problems because after sowing with HS,fields require proper management.
- A mulch is a layer of material applied to the surface of the soil.
- The reasons for applying mulch include conservation of soil moisture, improving fertility and health of the soil, reducing weed growth and enhancing the visual appeal of the area.