List of Contents
What is the News?
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare appointed as the Chairman of the Stop TB Partnership Board. The Minister will serve a 3-year term commencing July 2021.
About Stop TB Partnership:
- Stop TB Partnership was established in the Year 2000.
- Aim: The aim is to eliminate tuberculosis as a public health problem.
- Significance: It is a unique international body as it aligns all countries in the world to fight against TB.
- Amsterdam Declaration: In 2000, Stop TB Partnership gave a call for collaborative action from ministerial delegations of 20 countries with the highest burden of TB.
- Partner organizations: It has 1500 partner organizations. It includes international, non-governmental, and governmental organizations and patient groups.
- Secretariat: Geneva, Switzerland.
India’s Initiatives against Tuberculosis:
- Firstly, India has committed to eliminating TB in the country by 2025, five years ahead of the global deadline of 2030.
- Secondly, National Strategic Plan (NSP) for TB Elimination (2017-2025): It is a framework to provide guidance for the activities of various stakeholders to reduce the burden of TB mortality and morbidity. It aims to work towards the elimination of TB in India by 2025.
- Thirdly, Nikshay Poshan Yojana: It is a direct benefit transfer (DBT) scheme to provide nutritional support to TB patients.
- Lastly, TB Harega Desh Jeetega’ Campaign: This campaign aims to improve and expand the reach of Tuberculosis care services across the country by 2022.