List of Contents
What is the News?
The Himachal Pradesh government has decided to start SeaBuckthorn Plantation in the cold desert areas.
- It is a shrub that produces an orange-yellow coloured edible berry.
- In India, it is found above the tree line in the Himalayan region. It is generally in dry areas such as the cold deserts of Ladakh and Spiti.
- In Himachal Pradesh, it is locally called Himalayan chharma and grows in the wild in Lahaul and Spiti and parts of Kinnaur.
Benefits of Seabuckthorn Plantation:
- It is used as a medicine for treating stomach, heart, and skin problems.
- It is rich in vitamins, carotenoids, and omega fatty acids. Moreover, it can help troops in acclimatizing to high-altitude.
- It is an important source of fuelwood and fodder.
- It is a soil-binding plant that prevents soil erosion. Furthermore, it checks siltation in rivers and helps preserve floral biodiversity.
- Example: In the Lahaul valley, Seabuckthorn is a good alternative for protecting the local ecology. Willow trees there are dying in large numbers due to pest attack,
- It is used in making juices, jams, nutritional capsules among others.
- It is also used in the manufacturing of cosmetics and anti-ageing products.
Source: Indian Express