News: Union Minister for Housing and Urban affairs has launched the ‘Swachh Survekshan 2021’ — the sixth edition of the annual cleanliness survey.A new category of awards titled ‘Prerak Daaur Samman’ were also announced as part of the survey.
- Swachh Survekshan: It is an annual cleanliness survey of urban India conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under the aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission- Urban(SBM-U).
- Objectives: a) To encourage large scale citizen participation and create awareness about cleanliness b) inculcate a spirit of healthy competition among cities and towns towards creating cleaner cities/towns.
- Swachh Survekshan 2021: In a departure from the present criteria of evaluating cities on ‘population category’, the 2021 survey will categorize cities on the basis of six select indicator wise performance criteria which are as follows:
- Segregation of waste into Wet, Dry and Hazard categories
- Processing capacity against wet waste generated
- Processing and recycling of wet and dry waste
- Construction & Demolition (C&D) waste processing
- Percentage of waste going to landfill
- Sanitation status of cities
- Prerak Daaur Samman: It is a new category of awards announced as part of Swachh Survekshan 2021.The award has a total of five additional sub- categories -Divya (Platinum), Anupam (Gold), Ujjwal (Silver), Udit (Bronze), Aarohi (Aspiring) – with top three cities being recognized in each.