News:Recently,the National Centre for Cell Science has found that the pathogenic protein called Huntingtin Protein causes a decrease in overall protein production.
About Huntington disease:
- Huntington’s disease is an inherited genetic disease that causes the progressive breakdown (degeneration) of nerve cells in the brain.
- It is caused by a mutation in a gene called HTT which is involved in the production of a protein called huntingtin.
- The symptoms of Huntington’s disease usually develop between ages 30 and 50 but they can appear at an early as well as late age.
- The disease has a broad impact on a person’s functional abilities and usually results in movement, thinking (cognitive) and psychiatric disorders.
- There is currently no cure for Huntington’s disease and no way to slow or stop the brain changes it causes.Treatments focus on managing symptoms.