News:The Indian Council of Agricultural Research(ICAR) is all set to start a Farmers Innovation Fund.
About Farmers’ Innovation Fund:
- The farmers innovation fund aims to scientifically validate, scale-up and propagate the innovations of progressive farmers.
- It will link farmers and farming with science and will ensure that their farm practices are science-based.
- As part of this fund,an innovation centre will also be established in New Delhi where the innovations will be scientifically validated and farmers will be allowed to pursue research work.
- Currently, Krishi Vigyan Kendras document the innovations of farmers. This fund will also encourage farmers to continue their innovations.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare , Government of India.
- The Council is the apex body for coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.
About Krishi Vigyan Kendra(KVK):
- The Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) is district level Farm Science Centre established by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) for speedy transfer of technology to the farmer’s fields.
- The aim of KVK is to reduce the time lag between generation of technology at the research institution and its transfer to the farmer’s field.
- The KVKs are 100% funded by the Government of India.The first KVK was established in 1974 at Puducherry.