What is the News?
The Defence Minister has approved the budgetary support of Rs 498.8 crore for iDEX-DIO (Innovations for Defence Excellence – Defence Innovation Organisation) for the next five years.
About IDEX Framework:
- Innovations for Defence Excellence(iDEX) was launched by the Government of India in 2018.
- Aim: It aims to create an ecosystem to promote innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace. For that, it will attract industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes & academia.
- It will also provide grants/funding and other support to them to carry out R&D. However, R&D should have a good potential for future adoption for Indian defence and aerospace needs.
- Objectives of IDEX:
- Facilitate rapid development of new, indigenized, and innovative technologies for the Indian defence and aerospace sector in shorter timelines.
- Create a culture of engagement with innovative startups, to encourage co-creation for defence and aerospace sectors.
- Empower a culture of technology co-creation and co-innovation within the defence and aerospace sectors.
- Nodal Body: iDEX will be funded and managed by Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO).
About Defence Innovation Organization (DIO):
- Defence Innovation Organisation(DIO) is a not-for-profit Organisation, incorporated under Section 8 of the Companies Act.
- Founding Members: Its two founding members are Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) & Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) – Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).
- DIO will provide high-level policy guidance to iDEX. However, iDEX will be functionally autonomous. The CEO of both DIO and iDEX will be the same. It will facilitate coordination and separation of functions also without any conflicts.
|Read Also :-Significance of Citizen-led Fact-Finding Missions|