What is the news?
The Ministry of Education’s innovation cell released the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2021.
What is ARIIA 2021?
Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements(ARIIA) is a policy initiative of the Ministry of Education (MoE) implemented through AICTE and Innovation Cell.
Aim: To systematically rank all major higher educational institutions and universities in India.
Parameters: The various parameters considered in ARIIA for ranking are:
– Budget & Funding Support
– Infrastructure & Facilities
– Awareness, Promotions & support for Idea Generation & Innovation
– Promotion & Support for Entrepreneurship Development
– Innovative Learning Methods & Courses
– Intellectual Property Generation, Technology Transfer & Commercialization
– Innovation in Governance of the Institution.
Categories: The rankings were made under two categories: Technical and Non-Technical.
The technical category included 5 sub-categories-
– Central Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs), Central University, & Institute of National Importance
– State University & Deemed University (Govt. & Govt. Aided)
– Govt. College/Institution (Govt. & Govt. Aided)
– University & Deemed University (Self-Finance/Private)
– Private College/Institute (Self-Finance/Private)
The non technical category included two sub-categories-
– Central Funded Institutes (CFIs)/Central University/Institute of National Importance (Non-Technical)
– General (Non-Technical)
What are the key rankings of ARIIA 2021?
Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & CFTIs: IIT Madras has secured the first rank. IIT Bombay and IIT Delhi were placed at the second and third ranks respectively.
Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & CFTIs (non-technical): Indira Gandhi National Open University
Source:This post is based on the article ‘IIT Madras tops in Atal innovation rankings’ published in The Hindu on 31st Dec 2021.