What is the News?
Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Ropar has developed a first-of-its-kind Oxygen Rationing Device called AMLEX.
About AMLEX Device:
- AMLEX is an Oxygen Rationing Device that increases the life of medical oxygen cylinders threefold.
- The device can be easily connected between the oxygen supply line and the mask worn by the patient.
- It uses a sensor that senses and successfully supplies a required volume of oxygen to the patients (while inhaling) and trips when the patient is exhaling Carbon dioxide(CO2).
- This process would help save oxygen, which gets unnecessarily wasted otherwise.
What was the need for an AMLEX device?
- Generally during exhalation, the oxygen in the cylinder or pipe is pushed out along with the exhaled Co2 by the patient. This results in a large amount of oxygen wastage in the long run.
- Also, a huge amount of oxygen escapes from the openings of the mask to the environment in the resting period (between inhalation and exhalation) due to the continuous flow of life-saving gas in the mask.
- Hence, as the demand for medical oxygen jumps manifold amid the second wave of coronavirus, the device would save oxygen which gets unnecessarily wasted.