List of Contents
What is the News?
India Meteorological Department(IMD) launches the Climate Data Service Portal on the occasion of World Meteorological Day.
About Climate Data Service Portal:
- Aim: Climate Data Service Portal serves as an integrated platform that aims to provide weather and climate services to the users.
- Developed by: India Meteorological Department (IMD), Pune
Components of the Climate Data Service Portal:
The major components of the portal are:
- Real-Time monitoring of weather observations recorded by IMD Observatories.
- Online access to meteorological data through Data Supply Portal.
- Free download facility for Gridded Temperature and Rainfall Data of India.
- Climatological Tables, Extremes and Normal.
- Information on Monsoon Rainfall and Cyclone frequencies among others.
About India Meteorological Department (IMD):
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) was established in 1875. It is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- It is the principal agency responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting, and seismology.
About World Meteorological Organization(WMO):
- Firstly, World Meteorological Organization(WMO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. It is responsible for promoting international cooperation in atmospheric science, climatology, hydrology, and geophysics.
- Secondly, WMO originated from the International Meteorological Organization (IMO). The idea of IMO comes from the Vienna International Meteorological Congress, 1873.
- Thirdly, WMO was then established by the ratification of the WMO convention in 1950. After that, the organization became a specialized agency of the United Nations(UN) in 1951.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
About World Meteorological Day:
- World Meteorological Day is observed on March 23rd every year. It is observed to mark the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- The theme for 2021: The Ocean, Our Climate, and Weather.