News: India Meteorological Department (IMD) released State of the Climate Report-2019
Key takeaways from State of the Climate Report-2019
- The past decade was the hottest on record for India.
- 2019 was the seventh warmest year since 1901.
- The annual rainfall in 2019 was 109% of the long period average for 1961–2010
- Five cyclones were recorded from the Arabian Sea- the highest number of Arabian Sea cyclones since 1902. The normal number is one per year.
- Extreme weather events killed about 1,630 persons in 2019.
State of Global Climate 2019- released by the World Meteorological Organization
- The global average temperature in 2019 (January to October) was about 1.1 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial period.
- Concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere hit a record level of 407.8 parts per million in 2018 and continued to rise in 2019.
- In October 2019, the global mean sea level reached its highest value since the beginning of the high-precision altimetry record (January 1993).