What is the News?
The IN-EUNAVFOR (Indian Navy – European Union Naval Force) Exercise is being conducted in the Gulf Of Aden for the first time.
About IN-EUNAVFOR Exercise:
- The IN-EUNAVFOR exercise is being conducted for the first time.
- Aim: To enhance and improve war-fighting skills. It also aims to promote their ability as an integrated force to promote peace, security and stability in the maritime domain.
- Participants: Along with the Indian Navy, the other countries participating in the exercise are: Italy, Spain and France.
- The exercise includes advanced air defence and anti-submarine exercises, tactical manoeuvres, Search & Rescue, and other maritime security operations.
- From the Indian side, Stealth frigate INS Trikand is participating in the exercise.
- EUNAVFOR and the Indian Navy converge on multiple issues. Such as counter-piracy operations and protection of vessels deployed under the charter of the World Food Programme(UN WFP).
- The two navies also have regular interaction through SHADE (Shared Awareness and Deconfliction) meetings held annually in Bahrain.
- SHADE is an international operational counter-piracy platform, convened in Bahrain.
- It aims to encourage partners for sharing information, assessing the evolution of trends. SHADE also de-conflict operations amongst counter-piracy actors in the Gulf of Aden, the Gulf of Oman and the Western Indian Ocean.
- Moreover, a virtual Information sharing Exercise is also being conducted between the Indian Navy Information Fusion Centre – Indian Ocean Region and Maritime Security Centre-Horn of Africa, an integral part of EUNAVFOR.