In S-400 deal, U.S. is the elephant in the room
- The proposed purchase of S-400 systems from Russia became a contentious issue between India-US-Russia relation.
2. The Defense Ministry has sent the proposal to the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) to procure the Russian-developed S-400 missiles..
3. The S-400 is a complex military system comprising:
- Several radars
- Command post
- Different types of missiles and launchers (It track several dozen incoming objects simultaneously)
- It can launch counter-missiles within seconds and shoot them down with great efficiency.
4. The deal has let to standoff between US and India relation and concern raised are :
- U.S. has called for sanctions against Russia.
- U.S. has warned that it will not support the transfer of U.S. military technology.
5. India seek waiver from US sanction. India argue that S-400 acquisition supports the U.S.-India shared goal of enhancing regional capabilities to deter Chinese aggression.
6. Saudi Arabia has also threatened military action against Qatar if goes ahead to acquire S-400 from Russia